1. The name Singalilwe is Yao and loosely translated it means lonely or to be left alone, which is quite fitting and not nearly as sad as it seems because I happen to tremendously enjoy solitude.
2. The name was given to me by my paternal Grandmother because I was born shortly after the death of my Grandfather.
3. My middle names are Edith and Barbara, which were my grandmother’s names so I carry a lot of history with me.
4. My father is Yao, but I’m a Ngoni through my mother.
5. I am a whole entire ass twenty-five years old… going on twelve.
6. My favourite colour is purple.
7. I’m a textbook introvert and was team awkward-black-girl before it was cool. I’ve definitely overcome the worst of my anxieties about being around people but it still grips me often. So I avoid people as a general rule.
8. I sometimes write poetry. Mostly when I’m sad, so it’s not pretty.You can check it out here.
9. If anyone asks, I don’t believe in Astrology. Which is typical of us Aries.
10. My favourite food in the whole world is chips and chicken, which is a classic and I refuse to be shamed for my unsophisticated palate.
11. Feminism is a big part of who I am as a person.
12. Books are a great gift hack if you ever plan on getting me anything.
13. Grilled cheese is God’s gift to mankind.
14. I also really love tea.
15. If you’re not already picking up on this, food is a good way to get in my pa- I mean… good graces.
16. I can’t dance. You have been fairly warned.
17. I have a scar from when I was maybe five or six that I got when I thought the best way to check whether the iron was hot was to use my face. It’s faint now, but I’ll always know it’s there.
18. Yes I studied IT but that DOESN’T MAKE ME A NERD. The glasses and anime probably do though.
19. I am a huge fan of road trips, picnics and anything that involves wine.
20. I started a book drive initiative in 2016 called Utawaleza to make more books available for Malawian public schools. And if you would like to be a part of that in any way, do get in touch with me (comment, find me on twitter @UtawalezaMw, or instagram @mwanaduwa, stalk me in real life… whatever works!)
That’s it. Whew. This was harder than I thought. You never realise how much you don’t know about yourself until you have to come up with a list. Wow.
Moving it along. On tomorrow’s blog? My favourite quote.